I interviewed my roommates father who has owned a bar in Costa Rico for the past 15 years.
What makes you an entrepreneur?
I guess you can say I am a risk taker. Opening a business in a third
world country learning the culture the language and the politics of the
country at the same time. The key to being an entrepreneur is being
flexible and dedicated to your business. Looking
for a need and a solution or product that stands out from the rest. As
an entrepreneur you need to know every aspect of your business.
What was the worst experience you had as being an entrepreneur?
Dealing with corrupt government officials and inspectors looking for bribes.
What do you wish you had been taught in school before setting out on your own path as an entrepreneur?
I think a little more marketing might have helped.
Mr. De Vries has shown that some entrepreneurial adventures take a lot longer to pan out, and to see how it will turn out. He obviously got into a situation that had more surprises than ever expected, which is understandable since he's working in a foreign country. I thought it was cool though that with his outreach he learned a different language and fully immersed himself in a different culture to do what he wanted. I learned that if I ever try to do business in a foreign country that I should do research into their laws and regulations.
No comments:
Post a Comment